Medohar Vati is a commonly used Ayurvedic medicine to reduce weight. Important causes for weight gain are genetic influence, slow metabolism, harmonal imbalances, PCOD, emotional upsets, inactive lifestyle and faulty eating habits. Obesity and weight gain also happens in women as a midlife crisis in the perimenopause period. Divya Medohar Vati also helps in controlling early diabetes, high blood pressure, infertility, cardiovascular and circulatory problems, which are life threatening. Divya Medohar Vati along with the lifestyle changes to avoid complicated serious illnesses. It is always better to check your BMI to understand your category of weight. It is better to maintain your BMI below 23 - 24 for an ideal weight.
When energy spent is less than the energy intake, it also results in weight gain. It can be controlled with medicines like
Medohar Vati Ingredients
In meodhar vati herbs are selected based on the Ayurvedic properties which are necessary to control excess dosha. Increased Kapha is the main cause for overweight, which can be treated with drugs which are of bitter, pungent astringent in taste, dry and penetrating in quality, hot in potency, pungent in post digestive effect. Thus they help to decrease the Kapha dosha, mamsa, medas dhathus which are responsible for the weight gain. Dhathu parinamam or transformation of the dhathus has to function normally along with a good digestion for a better health. Medohar vati helps to correct the metabolism and helps in transformation of the medas dhathu into Asthi dhathu, Majja dhathu and sukra dhathu. Failure in the proper transformation leads to excess weight gain.
Guggulu – Commiphora mukul
It is bitter, pungent, astringent in taste, light, penetrating, oily, light, laxative, slimy quality, pungent in post digestive effect, hot in potency. It helps to reduce weight and the excess fat with its scrapping action.
Shilajit / Shilajeet – Asphaltum
It is bitter in taste, light, oily in quality, hot in potency, sweet in post digestive effect and reduces vatakapha. It has a scrapping action to help in weight loss.
TriphalaTriphala comprises of Haritaki – Terminalia chebula, Vibhitaki- Terminalia belerica and Amalaki – Emblica officinalis.
- Haritaki is sweet, sour, astringent, pungent, bitter in taste, hot in potency which helps to reduce weight with its purgative and scrapping action.
- Vibhitaki is astringent, pungent, dry, light qualities, sweet in post digestive effect, hot in potency. It also helps to reduce weight.
- Amalaki is sweet, sour, bitter, astringent, pungent and it does not have salty taste, cold in potency, sweet post digestive effect. It helps to reduce Pitta and Kapha.
Katuki – Picrorhiza kurrao
It is bitter in taste, dry, light in quality, cold in potency and pungent in post digestive effect. It acts as a purgative and corrects the metabolism of the liver thereby helping in weight loss. It reduces excess pitta and kapha.
Trivrt – Operculina turpethum
It is bitter, pungent in taste, light, dry, strong, penetrating in quality, pungent in post digestive effect, hot in potency. It reduces excess pitta and kapha by helping to reduce weight due to improper eating.
Vidangam – Embelia ribes
It is bitter, pungent, astringent in taste, Light dry in quality, hot in potency, pungent in post digestive effect. It corrects the digestion with a purgative effect and thus helps in reducing weight.
Babul – Acacia arabica
It is astringent in taste, heavy in quality, cold in potency, sweet in post digestive effect. It reduces Vata, Pitta thereby correcting the metabolism and helps in reducing weight.
Medohar Vati Benefits
- It helps to reduce the excess weight in hypothyroidism by correcting the metabolism.
- It helps to reduce the growth of cyst in PCOD thereby helps in correcting the hormonal imbalance.
- It helps to improve the blood circulation and helps to prevent cardiac problems like ischaemic heart disease, varicose veins and other circulatory problems like thromboangitis obliterans.
- Medohar Vati also helps in a better functioning of the brain with memory, concentration and helps to be more alert.
- It helps to increase the metabolism whereas a slow metabolism causes increased craving for sugar, junk foods which also leads to weight gain.
- It helps to balance the insulin which also helps to reduce the insulin resistance whereas increased insulin secretion leads to weight gain.
- Divya Medohar Vati also helps to prevent the weight loss in menopause by increasing the metabolism.
- It also helps to reduce the pain in conditions like arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis and also effective to relieve muscular pain.
- It stimulates the liver and helps in conditions like fatty liver.
- Divya medohar vati helps to prevent the onset of hereditary diseases like Diabetes along
with the life style changes.
Administration and Dosage
2 tablets twice or thrice daily before half an hour or one hour after food. Generally in all disorders due to excess Kapha disorders or that of mamsa, medas, medohar vati will be more effective if taken before food as it helps to digest the fat by increasing metabolism, which will result in the reduction of fat.
- The dose can be adjusted according to the necessity.
- It can be taken for 3 – 6 months and then reviewed.
Divya Medohar Vati Side effects
There are no known side effects in taking this medicine continuously, so it can be taken for a year. The effect can be maintained by implementing the lifestyle changes including the diet and exercise. It is safe to use ayurvedic medicine.
Diet Suggestions along with Medohar Vati
- Eat healthy food with more vegetables and salads like cucumber and tomatoes.
- Eat less and light food in dinner as body does not require excess energy for metabolism during night time, but which in turn if taken excessively will be stored as fat. Avoid carbohydrates and fatty foods in the night.
- Eat less with more frequent intervals to balance the insulin.
- It is mentioned in Ayurvedic texts not to eat a full stomach and to leave one fourth of the stomach empty. Researches now claim that it takes 15 minutes for the feeling of satiety to reach the brain and it is better to stop eating before you get the feeling of satiety. So after 15 minutes you will not feel hungry even though you did not eat a full stomach. Try to practice this which will help you to avoid overeating.
- Include horse gram, cabbage, drumstick, spinach, bitter gourd, plantain stem spices like cinnamon, garlic, ginger, turmeric, oats, fiber, complex carbohydrates which helps to reduce weight.
- All foods which are excessively sweet in taste will increase kapha which will lead to weight gain. So try to reduce ice creams, chocolates, sugar. Reduce excess salt and oil.
- Drink enough water which is necessary for a proper metabolism.
Physical activity and exercise
Lack of physical activity also leads to weight gain as the extra energy is stored as fat. Try to incorporate activities like walking, small house hold activities, gardening which helps to spend some energy.
Sleep is very important as less sleep causes an increase in the hormone ghrelin which increases the hunger and decreases the hormone leptin which gives the satiety feeling. Less sleep will also make you tired affecting your daily tasks. Ayurveda advises to avoid long hours of day sleep that will increase the kapha dhathu which will also lead to weight gain.
Divya Medohar Vati is very effective when taken along with practicing these asanas.
Practice Yogasanas like Matsyasana, Dhanurasana, Uthithapadasana, Utkadasana, Paschimottasana, Padahastasana, Parvatasana, Garudasana, Ardhamatsyendrasana, Gomukhasana, Bharadwajasana, Surya namaskaram which helps to reduce fats in thighs, arms, waist according to the postures. It also helps to stimulate the metabolism by stimulating the organs like liver which also improves the circulation and the reduces cholesterol. It also helps to stimulate the uterus by increasing the menstrual flow and reduces the PCOD. Yogasanas like Halasana, Sarvangasna , Viparita karani, Marjaryasana helps to stimulate the thyroid gland and improves the secretion of thyroxine which will help to reduce weight.
Pranayamam like Anuloma, viloma, Ujjayi, Bhastrika, Bhrmari, Kapala bhati helps to increase the oxygenation to the tissues which also reduce the stress, improve the energy levels helping you to eat less.
Thus proper life style changes along with Divya Medohar Vati will help to reduce weight. Trying to loose weight is a life time involvement, so it has to be followed in every day life.